Friday 15th July, 2016

Flying from Kuala Lumpur at 13.20, we arrived at Sandakan airport by 16.10.

As Sandakan airport was so small, we received our bags and were in the taxi headed to our hotel, Four Points by Sheraton, within 20 minutes of arrival.

This was the awesome view from our room!


We took a shower, checked out the local area, had a mediocre buffet and headed back to our room to plan our adventures for the next few days.

Saturday 16th July, 2016

The next morning, our first stop was to the Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre.

The bears have so much room to roam about and the people who work there are so passionate and knowledgeable about them.

They also helped us take some awesome photos of the bears with our cameras through the telescopes.


Our next stop was next door at the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre.

Again, the orangutans roam free and it was incredible seeing them so free and up close.


The awkward moment when you realise an orangutan is more photogenic than you.


There are keepers around to make sure that they don’t get too close to us, though!

Our final stop for the day was the Rainforest Discovery Centre which was beautiful and full of luscious greenery and canopies.

5 5a


6 7 8

We arrived back at the hotel by 6.30pm, had some Japanese food at the restaurant next door and chilled out for the rest of the evening.

Sunday 17th July

A chilled start to the day, just lazing around in our room, reading and editing videos.

When we started getting a bit peckish, we headed over to ‘The Harbour Restaurant’, which was one the many restaurants by the harbour (duh) just around the corner from the hotel.

The food was pretty unspectacular but it fuelled us up for the day.


We booked tickets at the hotel for a day trip tomorrow but decided to just check out the local area on this day.

There’s not much to actually do in the Sandakan town centre apart from the Sandakan Heritage Trail.

I’m not going to lie to you, there wasn’t really that much to see.

Just a few statues, Agnes Keith’s house (an American author) and some temples.


The highlight of the trail was the English Tea House where Ry went for a bread and butter pudding and I had a scone because #SCONES4LYF.

14 15

After the ‘trail’, we headed back to the hotel to chill out and there was a blackout for 15 minutes which was pretty scary :/

Once the lights came back on, we ordered room service and watched YouTube videos because we know how to party.


Monday 18th July

A little overexcited when ordering room-service breakfast…


Our taxi picked us up at 12pm to take us over to the Gomantong Caves.

This was definitely one of the most terrifying things we have ever done.


We took the first few steps into the cave and Ry already ran back out before psyching ourselves up to go back in again as we had already paid and the journey there was pretty long. If you’re in Sabah and thinking of visiting this cave, we wouldn’t recommend it unless you really enjoy stepping on loads of bat and bird poop and cockroaches…


The view from the back of the cave.


Check out Ry’s fear in this excellent vlog.


Our next destination was a much more relaxing 2-hour river cruise along the Lower Kinabatangan River.

This river has the highest concentration of wildlife in all of South East Asia and 4-6pm was the most popular time to see the wildlife.

We saw lots of proboscis monkeys, macaque monkeys, snakes, birds and even an orangutan from a distance, which was cool!


After the cruise, we had a yummy homecooked meal and were whisked back to the hotel in the evening.

Tuesday 19th July

Another chill morning with a big bowl of room-service porridge and the usual reading/editing combo.

As we loved the teahouse so much, we decided to head back for lunch.

Ry had chicken, mash and veg while I went for the tomato seafood spaghetti, topped with a fruit and apple crumble for dessert, all of which were delicious!

After lunch, we headed back and Ry did a bit of editing in the room while I went down to the infinity pool which was lush.


Ry joined me a bit later on and we had steak and burgers at the hotel for dinner.

Wednesday 20th July

We left Sandakan and flew to Kuala Lumpur at 3.30pm, had a 3 hour stopover and got on a 7 hour flight to Tokyo at 23.30pm.

The best thing about this flight was that it was overnight and I got to lie down and sleep the whole way as there was a row of 4 seats free! 😀

See you soon for our Japanese adventures!


Leave a Reply