Sunday 6th November, 2016

At 9.50am, we got on the Greyhound and arrived at Hervey Bay by 3pm.

Oh, and we passed this giant kangaroo at a service station on the way.

(Sorry about the crap quality; my phone decided to die during this trip and I had to screenshot this pic from my Instagram. #coolstorybro #tellitagain)


After checking in at the Palace Backpackers, we dropped off our things and checked out the local area before heading back to the hostel at 4pm for a group briefing for our Fraser Island trip the next day.

We were put into a group of 6 to prepare food for lunches and dinners for the next 3 days.

Our group was awesome and we bonded over dinner at Dominos before getting an early night.

Monday 7th November

We woke at 5.30am, had breakfast and watched a Fraser Island safety video at 6.30am.

At 8am, we left the hostel in our 4 wheel drive towards the ferry terminal.

Once on the island, we walked through the heart of the rainforest where trees grew from the sand and the clearest streams.

We dropped off our things at the campsite, had lunch and ice lollies.

Our next stop was the impressive Lake Wabby with the largest sand dunes on Fraser Island and a natural emerald coloured lake.

I’d never seen anything like it before; it was incredible!

Back at the campsite, we made burgers for dinner, drank and played card.

Tuesday 8th November

We woke at 7am and started the day at the Moreno Shipwreck.


Next, we headed to the Champagne Pools, named after the bubbles and froth formed in the volcanic rocks.

Racing along the sand.

We headed to the most easterly point on the island, Indian Heads, for lunch before hiking up it.

It’s a great spot to spot wildlife and we spotted a manta-ray and a turtle. Unfortunately, I didn’t manage to get a photo to show you, though.

How beautiful is the colour of the water?!

I didn’t get any photos of this but we headed to Eli Creek which produces 4.2 million litres of water per day. However, the current wasn’t as strong as I thought it would be so we ended up walking along it as  opposed to being pushed along. We were also able to drink some of the fresh water at the start of the creek.

Back at the campsite, we had hot dogs and corn on the cob for dinner and chatted to new friends before getting an early night.

Wednesday 9th November

A few of us woke up at 4.30am to watch the sun rise at the beach just around the corner from our campsite.

Evidently, this time in the morning is not a strong look for anyone but it was totally worth it for the views.

We all went back to bed for a few hours before the rest of the camp woke up and headed over to my favourite place on Fraser Island: LAKE MCKENZIE!

The most picturesque and clear lake on the island.



Our Fraser Island group!

Unfortunately, we were only allowed to stay for 2 hours as the area couldn’t be too crowded and another group were due to arrive so we headed off at 11.30am, grabbed some lunch and headed back on the ferry at 2pm.

The rest of the day was a lovely mix of walks, ice cream, Dominos and chilling.

Thursday 10th November

Although we were due to head to Airlie Beach today, we had to reschedule for the next day as Tash had a really bad throat infection and had to stay in the hospital overnight, the poor thing!

Here’s what my solo day consisted of:

  • sushi rolls for lunch (too much salad cream in them made me a bit sad, though)
  • bought a copy of Dark Places from a bookshop
  • wanted to sunbathe but it was too windy
  • chilled in a café and sorted out some photos
  • rescheduled our Whitsundays trip
  • changed to a new dorm
  • lovely French guy who worked at the hostel gave me a lift to drop off an overnight back for Tash
  • Thai food for dinner with Oscar and Matilda

Friday 11th November

  • Checked out at 10am
  • Bought an apple turnover from the bakery next door and had it for breakfast on the pier
  • Sent off some postcards and a birthday card for dad
  • Tash was back from the hospital by the early afternoon! 😀
  • Stocklands Mall for lunch and fro yo
  • Sunbathed on the grass by the beach
  • Free pies from the bakery next to our hostel at the end of the day!
  • Got on the overnight coach at 5.45pm to Airlie Beach

See you soon!


3 thoughts on “FRASER ISLAND

Leave a Reply to Anthony Cancel reply