After almost 5 years in Hong Kong, I’ve decided to move back to the UK to work out what I’m truly passionate about, in terms of my career.
Mostly, I’ve enjoyed teaching but I’m not sure if it’s what I want to be doing for the rest of my life and since no other industries that I’m interested in out here are willing to hire me, I figured I’d have a better chance in the UK.
Although I love living in Hong Kong and will miss it a lot, a change of scenery is always good.
So here’s what I’m looking forward to:
1. Seeing my friends and family
2. Watching my brother graduate from his masters
3. Moving in with one of my best friends, Sarah, and Muesli the pug
4. Christmas in the UK is always magical
5. Finally seeing the Lion King in theatre in London on my birthday with some of my favourite people
6. Fresh air
7. Nature and big open spaces
8. Free healthcare
9. Charity shops
10. Car boot sales
11. Primark and high street shops
12. Card shops (Paperchase and Scribbler, I’m looking at you)
13. Better range of books at the library, because as Arthur rightfully says:
14. HYGGE! (It’s hard to get cosy in HK when you want to light a candle but you also need to keep the ac on because it’s still hot in November. #firstworldproblems)
15. Cooking using a big oven: cottage pies, fish fingers, potato smilies – the possibilities are endless for a culinary genius like me!
16. Food: fry ups, fish and chips, roast dinners, fresh pier doughnuts, scones, Ben’s Cookies, KFC hot wings (because British KFC is way better than all Asian KFCs), mum’s home-cooked meals.
17. British supermarkets (better quality meat, fruit, veg, cheap cheese, cheap yoghurt and frozen food, Ben and Jerrys ice cream, decent chocolate and DELI HAM!)
18. Hopefully finding a job that I love
19. Better working hours and holidays
20. Exploring new places in England that I’ve never been to.