Scroll on for my favourite TV series, films, books, lockdown purchases, memories, songs and new discoveries in 2020.
My fave TV series this year would have to be Schitts Creek, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Normal People.
I actually wrote reviews on them back in July if you fancy diving a little deeper.
Parasite – I’ve watched it twice this year and it’s absolutely top notch!
Soul, which I watched during the Crimbo Limbo, was also excellent!
- Everything I Never Told You – Celeste Ng
- Queenie – Candice Carty Williams
- The Flat Share – Beth O’Leary
- Girl, Woman, Other – Bernadine Evaristo
- Us – David Nicholls
- The Testaments – Margaret Atwood
- You know you’re 30 when your favourite purchase of the year was a hoover. James bought us the Dyson V8 Absolute Pro during Black Friday and it’s an absolute game-changer. Our flat came with a big, clunky, ridiculously loud hoover which we hated using so this cordless baby actually makes hoovering easy and, dare I say, enjoyable!
- I was also happy to finally replace my GHD’s which I’ve had for around 12 years. They still work but the ceramic plates had become quite scratched over time, so I was happy to find the same pair in the Black Friday sale!
- I’m also a big fan of the Pomegranate and Currant Paddywax candle, a fresh and fruity scent that fills the room without being overwhelming.
- One of the best things about lockdown was that I finally got around to ordering and putting up some framed prints from Desenio in the bedroom as well as other prints in the hallway and lounge. Also, big shoutout to Command Strips for making the process so easy and nail-in-the-wall-free!
I also finally donated my vintage fur coat that I’d had for around 10 years and replaced it with this long puffer coat from Uniqlo. It’s incredibly warm, waterproof and has a hood so it’s perfect for the British winter!
- Hosting Lauren Bravo’s book launch at our shop
- Being able to celebrate Tina’s birthday post first lockdown with a delicious lunch at the beautiful Sushisamba and taking photos in Trafalgar Square
- Visiting the Lake District for the first time and we got so lucky with the weather!
- Sunny days spent reading in Holland Park
- Wandering around charity shops and having nice meals out with friends
- Meeting baby Freya!
SONG THAT GOT ME THROUGH IT
I actually don’t listen to much music unless I’m at work but I’m a big fan of the NPR Music Tiny Desk Concerts.
This is my favourite (of course) and Adore You is an absolute banger.
- Stand up paddle boarding in the Lake District – not as difficult as I thought it would be and I didn’t fall off so I’m counting that as a victory!
- Auradaze in Ambleside (Lake District) – the best Japanese food that I’ve had in the UK and incredibly priced for the generous portion sizes
- Popsugar fitness videos on YouTube – I usually prefer long walks and swimming but since I couldn’t do much of that during lockdown, these videos have been really helpful in keeping me moving while indoors
- Tiramisu Croissant Buns from Buns From Home
- The brilliant TV series/films I watched and books read this year
- Learning lots of new recipes such as The Londoner’s sage and apple roasted pork chops and simple saucy fish supper. I perfected my wonton recipe and along with seemingly everyone else on Instagram during the first lockdown, I baked banana bread – Kate La Vie’s recipe is excellent.
- Thortful for brilliant cards that you can personalise and send off without leaving the house – perfect for lockdown
- Cutter and Squidge brownies courtesy of my pal, Marianne, for my birthday this year and they’re so delicious!
And that’s my final blog post of 2020!
Wishing you all a happy new year – may it bring joy, good health and hopefully a few adventures!